OS X: Sharing files between Windows and Mac
Once you connect, the drive for the Mac sharing files will be mounted on your desktop. You can open it as you would any other folder to copy files from the other computer to the one you are on.
Tech-Ease is your source for just-in-time answers for classroom technology questions. Funding for Tech-Ease content development has been provided by by various grants from the University of South Florida and the Florida Department of Education. For example, there are groups named staff and wheel as well as a bunch of others.
A user can be a member of multiple groups. For example, your main account is in the wheel and Admin groups and others, too. Guests: Two kinds of guests exist.
The first kind lets your friends log into your Mac while sitting at your desk without user accounts or passwords. The PC will appear in Finder under the Shared category and you'll be able to browse those shared files as you would those held on any connected drive.
How to Set Up Network File Sharing on macOS, Without Sharing Your Username and Password
You can also set your Mac up to share with Windows PCs. If your PC has been set up for Guest access you can use Guest as your username; otherwise, choose Registered User and enter the username and password if the username has no password, create one in User Accounts on your PC for the account on the PC. Check the "Remember this password" box and Connect.
A list of available shared folders on the PC should appear. Select the one s you require access to, click OK and these folders should appear on your Mac desktop. Sharing your Mac with a Windows machine is relatively easy, but does reduce your Mac system's overall security. The reason you set up a specific account to share with Windows machines is partially to secure your main account, as enabling this for your administrator account makes every file on your Mac accessible -- which you should not do.
- Username / password combination incorrect on Infuse for Apple TV 4?
- Set Up Your Mac's File Sharing Options.
- How do I share files between Macs and PCs over a network? » Files & Sharing » Mac » Tech Ease.
This software lets you access a virtual Windows or Mac desktop, and lets you run apps on your remote machine. It's pretty cool. Got a story? Jonny is a freelance writer who has been writing mainly about Apple and technology since Here are the latest Insider stories. More Insider Sign Out.
- How to share files between Mac and Windows 10 without using any software?
- Post navigation?
- 11 thoughts on “Anonymous SMB sharing from OS X Lion (10.7)”.
- How do I share files between Macs over the network? » Files & Sharing » Mac » Tech Ease.
- Users, Groups, and Guests Defined for File Sharing on Macs.
- part time jobs mic mac mall!
- Step One: Create a Sharing Only User Account.
Sign In Register.